Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vrrrrooooommmm!

I think everyone has a card type that stumps them just like all have the card type which is *easy* to do...the stumpers--to-be-avoided would be boy birthday cards. I can do female cards of any kind. I can even do MANLY birthday cards...but little boys and teenage boys. Ugh! I have to plan and plan and sketch and pull papers until my desk is a diaster and I still don't know what I'm going to do! This is what happened this week as I was trying to figure out what to do for a commissioned boy's birthday card.

The mom said that her son loves vehicles, so at least I knew where to start! I pulled out my WONDERFUL Boys Basics: Truckin' It set with matching die by Papertrey Ink. I have been dying to use this set because it's just too cute! But now I just sat and looked at it scratching my head...so I went online and looked up "Boy birthday" in gallery upon gallery. So many ideas...but none that said "Oh yes!"

But I finally found one that I liked--actually using the Truckin' It set--so with that for my inspiration I chose some paper, colored and cut the images and then started doing a layout. I needed something more, so I pulled out the Boys Basics: Simple Circles set with matching die (also PTI) to make a border. Then it was just a matter of matching inks and lining it up. I wanted something fun with buttons, so I pulled some that matched and lined them up...needed something more.

I tried putting twine in the holes.
Nope.
Looked silly...
then I had a flash of brilliance (yes I DO get them on occasion! LOL!) and I was able to execute it exactly how I had imagined! I did some more randomness to finish the card up and viola!
I added some Glossy Accents to all the windshields and lights...and then made a slit in the truck bed and put in the #7 (how old he'll be) which I cut out of paper free-hand. I coated it in Glossy Accents too, and then using my finger to smear it lightly, added some Stickles to the pickup truck's body. This card rocks! LOL!

My son loved it and told me he wanted one EXACTLY like that for his birthday (in about 2 weeks) except to use green and yellow with John Deere Tractors...but exactly like it otherwise! LOL!

Challenge List
Photobucket
Card Details
Stamps: Boy Basics: Truckin' It and Simple Circles (PTI); Sentimental Birthday (There She Goes)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento); Really Rust, Summer Sun, Night of Navy, Pumpkin Pie (Stampin Up)
Coloring: Copic Markers
Paper: White (Georgia Pacific), Night of Navy (Stampin Up); DP-from stash
Accessories: Coordinating dies to the Truckin' It and Simple Circles sets (PTI), distressing tool, hemp twine, buttons, brads, Glossy Accents, and "Stardust" Stickles

11 Words of Love:

Heike said...

hey, what a gorgeous card.
Thx for playing pm.

Heike xx

Rene said...

Absolutely darling! Thank you so much for joining us this week at Make it Monday! Don't forget to leave a comment for another entry and mention you saw them on MIM; the more comments left, the greater your chance of winning our second prize!
Good luck!
Rene :D

Tamie said...

Loving all of the buttons and circles. Fantastic rich colors. Sure glad I saw it over at Make It Monday :)

Carol L said...

What a great little boy's card! I love how you added the number 7! Thanks for playing along with Stamps R Us!

Theresa said...

How totally festive. What wonderful DP. Thanks for playing along with this month's Cupcake Craftroom challenge!!

Mary J said...

Lisa, I love this! gorgeous colour combo! Thx for joining us at Make It Monday!

Mary J x

Kati said...

perfect boys-card
thanks for showing it for paperminutes
hugs
mamapia

Dawn Mercedes said...

Oh wow...I love the geometric-ness! Thank you for joining the Party Planners this week at Party Time Tuesdays!

Paige said...

how cute is this for a young boy! thanks for joining us at PTT! love the music on your blog!

sandra's crafty corner said...

it looks great to me hun, we are our own worst critics lol,thanks for joining our boys and thier toys challenge at cards for men and good luck in the challenge
hugs sandra dt for cfm

Jen said...

such a fun little card i love the colours

thanks for joining us at Cards For Men

Jen xx

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps