Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pastels, Pottery and Papercrafting

Have you ever tried to make paper look like pottery? It's simple to do really. Take an embossing folder with quite a bit of empty space in the design. Ink up the inside on the top (the side with the brand name)using a pastel/soft shade. Then add in a neutral piece of cardstock like white or ivory. Emboss the paper. When you take it out, it will have been inked up with the color you used and it makes the embossed design pop! If you have a brayer it's a lot easier to get the inking even...I don't have one, so I just take my ink pad and smear it several times making sure I keep it from getting inside the embossed part. If you want to see a tutorial you can watch one HERE.

Now the piece of embossed and inked paper makes a lovely background for a sentiment or simple image. And it does mimic a special pottery called Belleek Irish Pottery--especially if you stick to neutral inks like grays, tans, creams...Beautiful!

So I played around with this technique, trying to see what I came up with and what I liked...Here is the one I liked most from playing around last night using the Victorian embossing folder by Cuttlebug.


I used Pink Pirouette for the ink and love the resulting soft pink design.
Because I was just testing this out, I used a more inferior paper (Georgia Pacific) for the white. I'm sure that using my favorite paper (by Papertrey Ink) it would have a much more intense look. Once I had this card done, I lightly spritzed it with Shimmer Spray.
(Click on picture to see the shimmer better)

Now it's just gorgeous! Perfect for elegant yet simple notecards.

I did another one using Crumb Cake ink...I thought it looked ugly, so no posting of THAT one...LOL! I think I'll stick with the pastels...

Photobucket

1 Words of Love:

Chris said...

Hi Lisa, this card is very beautiful and inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps