Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Viva la Verve and a Pink Elephant

I decided to challenge myself this month and participate in each week's Viva la Verve challenge over on SCS. I decided this before checking out the first challenge! LOL! I went out on a limb to do this challenge. It really threw me for a loop and for several days I decided NOT to participate, but then I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and said "I'm In!".

The Week #1 for June's Viva la Verve (VLVJun01) is a sketch challenge with a twist. The sketch was fairly straight forward (you can find it HERE), but it was the twist that really seemed to get some people!

{The Twist}:
1. Use 3 or more colors of cardstock
2. Use 3 or more different stamp sets
3. Use 3 or more different types of embellishments

Just one of those is hard, but combining them all together??? Thankfully for me, the twist was the easy part. It was putting it all together to match the sketch that had me LoOpY! But by examining different cards in the VLVJun01 gallery, I mixed and matched and created my card!

My Twist:
1. Cardstock: Light blue, Raspberry, Olive Green and Cream
2. Stamps: "Thanks so Much" (Verve), Flourishes (Studio G), and "
Fluttering By" (Verve)
3. Embellishments: Ribbon, Adhesive metallic gems, Stickles (Diamond)


Card Details
Size: 4.75 x 5.5
Sentiments/Images: listed above; Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento); Paper: CS and PP from Paper Studio; Misc.: Stickles, ribbon, adhesive metallic gems, Threading Water punch (Fiskars), black Spicca pen

The Week #2 Viva la Verve challenge for June (VLVJUN02) was another sketch (see it HERE) with the MUCH easier twist of "NEW". We were to use new things on our card, which for nearly everyone is such an easy thing to do! This card just flew together and I am so tickled with my result. This card is also my entry for this week's color challenge (brown, pink and white) on The Pink Elephant.

I think you can see the machine stitching that I did on the smaller rectangle. I did a zig-zag stitch twice: first time with white and the second time with pink. I like the way it looks, even though you can't see it well here. I layered both of my rectangles in pink cardstock. This gorgeous patterned paper is called Meadowbrook and is made by Paper Studio. It's a very pale blue-gray background with pink, gray-brown and light brown flowers, leaves and dots. It is sooo pretty and this picture just doesn't do it justice. My smallest rectangle is a layer of brown cardstock with a piece of white embossed cardstock using Swiss Dots. I tied a sheer pink ribbon that has sparkly edges to this piece and then knotted another piece of this ribbon to the right side and then knotted a piece of polka dotted pink sheer ribbon right next to that. I like the touch the ribbon adds.

My focal point is one of Verve's scripture stamps (Isaiah 61:3) which happens to be one of my most favorite scriptures and one that I am keeping so close to might heart right since my personal life has been a bit crazy lately. This stamp actually arrived on the day of my D&C and I just clung to the statement "Joy from Mourning". It couldn't have come at a better time. The smudgy look is intentional and was done by stamping the verse in the Watermark ink by Versa Mark and then going over it with two shades of chalk: pink and grey. I thought it matched very well considering it does have the word "ashes" in the scripture. The last thing I did was paper pierce the largest rectangle along the right and bottom sides. I went over it with Stardust Stickles to give it some sparkle and then went along the outline of the small pink square surrounding the scripture the same way.

My Twist:
1. I used new ribbons.

2. I used a new stamp.
3. I used new adhesive gems.
4. I used a technique new to me (the chalking).

Card Details
Size: 4.25 x 5.5

Sentiment: Isaiah 61:3 (Verve); Ink: Watermark (Versa Mark); Paper: CS-Light brown and Pink (Paper Studio), CS-White (GP), PP-Meadowbrook (Paper Studio); Misc.: pink sheer ribbon, pink polka dot sheer ribbon, pink adhesive gemstones, sewing machine, "Swiss Dots" Embossing folder, Stickles (listed above), paper piercer, chalk (Pebbles, Inc.)

So there you have it! My first two entries for this month's {Viva la Verve Challenges}. I'm dying to see what will be next!

10 Words of Love:

Kim said...

Lisa, hon, these are beautiful!!! I love Verve too and don't get enough time to play with them. Maybe we can swap some images sometime? Have a great night, Kim

Shellie Munro said...

ohhh I love card #1!!!


S

Heidi said...

Lisa both of these are beautiful.

Becky said...

These are beautiful.

Cheryl Walker said...

Very pretty cards!!! I love the Thank you one!!! :)

Hugs,
Cheryl

cherscrap23 said...

Both are absolutely gorgeous!

Ann said...

Beautiful cards and well done on the sketch with a twist - that was quite a tall order.
Ann xxx
http://thepinkelephantchallenge.blogspot.com/

Maria said...

Hi Lisa, wow both cards are gorgeous. You did a fantastic job with the challenges. I love the pretty dp that you used on your first card. . .the pattern is beautiful and I love the colors! The same with the second card. I love the dot pattern on the edge of the pattern.

Maria

Kerry said...

Both cards are very pretty! I really love the colors/patterned paper on the first one.

Carol said...

Gorgeous cards Lisa! The colour combo on the first one is striking and the TPE entry is so pretty :)
Fabulous work...thank you so much for playing along with our challenge...

Hugs
Carol x

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps