Monday, February 09, 2009

Splurging and Sketch Saturday


I have been soooo naughty when it comes to shopping online for stamps! First I splurged early last week for some stamps from my friend Katie's new line Paper Makeup Stamps. I made my mind up to bed good. And then Stamping Bella goes and releases some of the absolute cutest stamps and I was a goner! I usually don't buy stamps from Stamping Bella, as I can't afford to buy enough to justify the shipping...but with the free shipping code being offered, I couldn't resist! I quickly started filling my shopping cart and before I was done, I had a new Turtle Tot, a Huggabug and Gardenbella! I used my code and was one of the lucky ones who got to take advantage of the free shipping glitch! And then I discovered that I had ordered before the release was finished and there was yet ANOTHER stamp I had to have, the cute new Amimals Daisy Hippo! Ryan in Stamping Bella's customer service was super awesome and simply added that stamp to my order and only charged me for the stamp. So now I've gone and splurged on FOUR new Stamping Bella stamps! shame on me! But ohhhh what fun I'm going to have!

My Paper Makeup Stamps came in the mail on Saturday, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet. I've been trying out some Sugar Nellie images my friend Norma sent me. I just love them and they are a blast to color. I was going to use one of them on my entry for this week's Sketch Saturday challenge. But discovered that I really didn't have a good circle to use which was needed for the sketch challenge...You can find the challenge and the sketch here. I used the patterned paper for my color inspiration and matched everything to it. I don't know if you can really tell, but I distressed the edges of the larger brown layer. I decided to cut out my image this time and use dimensionals. The very nifty ribbon bow is a technique I learned from Cheryl. If you haven't ever seen her ribbon treatments, you have got to check them out! Simply amazing!

I want to mention the coloring of the image. I used primarily BIC markers. I did use a Skin White Copic for the skin. I also decided to try my hand at shadowing and used one of the Cool Grey Prismamarkers for that. I really love the depth it gave and plan on using that technique on future projects.

Card Details
Size: 5" Square

Image: "Daisy"(Sugar Nellie); Coloring: BIC Markers, "Cool Grey 40%" Prismamarker and "Skin White" Copic; Paper: CS Chocolate (Paper Studio), CS Textured Blue (colorbok), PP "Urban Window" (We R Memory Keepers); Misc.: brown ribbons from stash, paper flowers, adhesive crystal gems, brown metallic brads, dimensionals, fiskars scissors, white gel pen, "Stardust" Stickles

Here is another card that I made using that same image. This one did not have the shadowing added and I think you can tell a difference. I kept the card design pretty simple on this one-- an easy version of the mosaic. I still like this card for it's relative simplicity. This image is on my wish list...which will be in a holding pattern until I can not feel so guilty about my new stamps coming! LOL!

Have a fabulous night! My baby boy will turn three tomorrow which is just downright shocking!!! I only wish I was going to be home all day, but I have school. But we will celebrate it really good once all the family comes home. What good is a birthday party without the aunts and uncles??

3 Words of Love:

Katie @ Paper Makeup said...

aww, happy birthday to the little man! Great job using the bic markers! I havent tried them!

Callie Michelle said...

You got the hippo too? AWWW!!! I'm soooo jealous! I'll just have to hit you up for a trade one I get my skunks and cows. Hehehe!

I love your cards. That image is adorable!! Great work chick!!

Sprytebyrd said...

Wow - Lisa, these are awesome! I'm going to have to brave up and try that shadowing sometime! Great cards!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps