Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Buzzin' Around


I love bumblebees. I think watching them in action is just fascinating. Sure, I keep my distance like the next person, especially since I have an allergy to them, but I still think they are a truly remarkable creature handmade by God. The card I made tonight showcases this very insect.

Ever since I received my order from Paper Makeup Stamps, I've been contemplating what to create in order to do these stamps justice. Tonight I was inspired by Spring--and bumblebees speak spring to me! I used the bee quote from the stamp set Buggy Sayings, combined with the matching bee in the set. Coordinating my papers with bumblebee colors was just a natural thing to do! I used textured cardstock by Paper Studio for the yellow and black and used a plain white card base. I stamped the bee onto the textured yellow cardstock and filled in his stripes with my markers. Using dimensionals to pop him up, I attached him to the black portion of the card. You can't really see it in the picture, but I paper pierced the bee-trail doodle, before I went over it with a dab of "Diamond" Stickles. Using the "threading water" punch, I punched the yellow layer then overlapped the lower black piece.

The quote itself is simply layered in black and yellow cardstock, then I used my white gel pen to add doodledots. The finishing touch was adding another little ribbon bow using a mixture of ribbon including sheer, grosgrain and satin. I've found the glue dots are really great for adhering these to my cards. The small yellow button in the center of the ribbon bow was the last thing I added to the card.

Card Details
Size: 4.25" x 5.5"
Image/Sentiment: "Buggy Sayings" (Papermakeupstamps); Ink: "Coal Black" (Ancient Page); Coloring: BIC markers; Paper: Textured CS Yellow and Black (Paper Studio), CS White (Georgia Pacific); Misc.: ribbons from stash, Threading Water Punch (fiskars), white gel pen, yellow button, "Diamond" and "Yellow" Stickles

Today was my son's third birthday and we did a mini party tonight. I bought him a cupcake on the way home from school and put a candle in it for him to blow out. I caught it on video, as he was super excited to get started on his cupcake. You can see it too if you click the link below:

Seth's Cupcake Party

We plan on letting him open a few presents when my husband comes home from work tomorrow, but the bulk of his birthday celebrations have to wait until the weekend of the 21st as that is the first weekend the other relatives will be in town. Oh well, he will just think it's an extended celebration! LOL!

Well, it's wayyyy past my bedtime, so I'm going to hit the sack! I have shopping plans tomorrow as I plan on taking advantage of Hobby Lobby's Scrapbook department deals this week!

Thought for the Night:
"You're not 40, you're eighteen with 22 years experience." ~Author Unknown

4 Words of Love:

Katie @ Paper Makeup said...

yeah! I love this card! You did a fantastic job!!!

Jessabells said...

Love the card. Happy Birthday to Seth!! I love coming to your blog, you have cool music.

Maria said...

Hi Lisa, Bumble bees are adorable. Love the black and yellow color to your card!!! Very stunning contrast. Your bee is adorable too! Love the ribbon in the center. . .very pretty.

Maria

staceykt22 said...

I love bee's too! This is an absolutely Beautiful card!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps