Sunday, September 21, 2008

A sketch and an edge


Here is the current sketch for the Sketch Saturday challenge. I really liked this sketch and since I had a couple new ideas I wanted to try out, I decided this was the perfect sketch for it. I've never entered this challenge before and don't know if my entry will be valid as it doesn't have an image, but there were not any rules stipulating the use of an image, so I think I might be okay. If not, I'm sure my friend (and one of the designers for Sketch Saturday) Gill will let me know!LOL!
When I created this card, it was actually going to be a double entry. I would use it for the Sketch Saturday challenge, but also a another challenge in which we had to use black, white and one other color. Unfortunately, I didn't get it made in time for that second challenge. Bummer. Oh well. The corner pieces really took me the longest on this card. I saw a sample of this in one of the old CTMH idea books, but tweaked it a bit for my use.

Materials:
*Paper: "Black and White Floral" (Paper Studio); black and white CS
*Misc: Fiskars Threading Water Border Punch; Rounded Edge corner punch; eyelets, ribbon, red flower w/beaded center; adhesive gemstones; "Black Diamond"-Stickles (Ranger)

In case you wanted to know how I did the corners, here are the directions:
I took a 2" x 2" square of cardstock and folded it in half; then in half again. Making 4 equal squares when you unfold it.
Laying it flat, I then folded two edges in, onto the lines making one end of the square pointy like a triangle. Because I wanted a rounded corner, I drew a curve on one side of the triangle. Opened it up into a rectangle. This is my cut line. Next I trimmed away the extra following the cut line and then the crease. It will make a notch-like shape. Now when you open it up it will look like this. And folding it back over the corner of your paper it will look like a curve. To finish it off, you can add eyelets in the middle of the curve on each side and then lace a thin ribbon or any other thin material through to make a cute laced corner. Another option is to skip the curving of the edge. Just go ahead and add eyelets and you will still get a cute laced triangle. Once you know how to get the basic shape, you can tweak it in a ton of different ways!

I don't know if I will be on again today, as I have a lot of laundry and homework to complete.

Tootles!
Glitter Text Generator

7 Words of Love:

Gill said...

Hi Lisa, thought you must have been creating for SS, flicking back and forth on my blog lol!!!, your card is fabulous and it's a great use of the sketch, that flower is fab, thanks for joining us this week, hope you will again, have a lovely evening
lv Gillx

Debbie said...

Great card Lisa and thanks for the mini tutorial. Thanks for joining us this week at Sketch Saturday. Debbie x

Marie said...

Beautiful card, Lisa! I love that punch as well! The flower is a great touch.

Catherine said...

Lisa, i like this sketch A LOT, but just couldn't find time to play :(

Your card is beautiful

Helena said...

Thanks for the lesson! I love the card :)

Jeanette said...

Your card is fabulous and I am going to try the corners! Thanks for showing us how and thanks for joining us this week at Sketch Saturday. Hugs Jeanette

COCO said...

wo Very stunning card !!!!
thanks for your participation !!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps