Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Altered Elegance


My mom's birthday is on Saturday and I know that she will appreciate something handcrafted by me over anything store bought...so this year I decided to make her an altered notebook. I have had this notebook just sitting around waiting for me to do something with it. I picked it up for 50 cents at the Dollar General store. It's 8" x 5" in size with big spiral binding. Perfect for ribbon! It had a black cover, but I really didn't want to leave the strip on the side, so I cut my paper at 5 x 8 and then lined it up against the binding and drew dots for the rings. Then since I do not have a 1/16 hole punch or the like, I had to do my hole with the puncher that comes with an eyelet setter. It worked perfectly...just took awhile...so I got my paper all lined up and then came the hard part...the ribbon. I must have looked through every piece I owned! Finally after starting and stopping a few times, I ditched the ribbon and went for my fibers. After tieing up one piece per ring, I didn't like the way it looked...then I found some fabulous ribbonish fiber hidden away that matched perfectly. So I ended up tieing two more of that one to each ring. I love the way it looks...

I think the silver metallic round tabs add a lot...I found those at our Big Lots for $1! Can't beat that! Now I wish I had purchased more of them! Anyways, I added them on with my mom's initials, then filled the letter in with Cinnamon Stickles and added the yellow gem over the hole. Viola! Random placement of some adhesive mini gems and it was all sparkly and done!

Materials:

Notebook (spiral 5" x 8")
Paper: DP (Dollar Tree $1)
Image: Flourish (Acrylic clear)
Ink: Brilliance Metallics-Silver
Embellishments: silver metallic round letter tags (BigLots); Stickles-Cinnamon; mini adhesive gemstones; varigated fiber; varigated 1/2" sheer ribbon-yarn; diecuts

I know my mom is going to love it! I'm wrapping it carefully and taking it to the PO tomorrow. I know she'll be calling me the minute that gets into her hands!

Have a great night!

Thought for the Day:
"Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love." ~Mildred B. Vermont


7 Words of Love:

Marie said...

Wow! Great job, Lisa! What a great turnout! I love the touches and choices. The paper is SO pretty! The whole notebook is gorgeous! I don't know if you saw yet, but I left you a blog award in my blog. Check it!

Anne Marie Peterson said...

Lovely job, Lisa! Your mom is going to love this! Your colors look great together.
Hugs,
Anne Marie
http://didsomeonesaystamp.blogspot.com

Catherine said...

I love this, i bet your mom will love it.

Catherine said...

I love this, i bet your mom will love it.

Stamping with Heather said...

Wow Lisa - this is so fabulous! I am partial to darker colors like this anyway - but I love all the elements that you added :-)

Debby said...

Lisa this is beautiful! Who wouldn't love this?!?

Mel M. M. M. said...

Stunning. I bet she flipped over it. Love the metal tab letters. And that ribbon! Heartstoppingly CUTE! :O)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps