Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Simplicity

Simplicity is something that I seem to do the best when it comes to cards. Some of my friends in the stamping world (like Heather and Heather and Jessica) are so darn creative when it comes to adding just the right embellishments that their cards never look...well, over dressed...but for some reason, I feel like my cards get too cluttered when I try it...hence the reason I end up with simple designs.

The crazy thing is that before a card is finished I will take out all the embellishments I even considered putting on that particular card, squint and hold each thing up to it or put it in a place on the card...but when it's all said and done I feel like the card ends up looking like a piled high all-you-can-use embellishment buffet plate! And so I slowly take off each item until I'm left with the orginal "completed" card...or maybe 1 or 2 things extra...

Take this card that I just finished up for an example. I colored little miss Partygirlabella a week ago and went ahead and used Stickles on her. Then tonight I chose my paper (which took FOREVER!) and settled on the blue glitter cardstock for a background. Then I chose black as her layer. But was that enough? Could I just leave her like that? Didn't she need ribbon somewhere? And so I pulled out my box of ribbons and tried all different looks. Nope. No ribbon. What about brads? Nope, brads didn't look right for her. Finally I pulled out my gem drawer and shuffled through various bags. Pink? No. Black? No. Blue? No. Silver? No. Wait, what's this? Hmm...Sparkle flower gems. Let's see. Opposite corners? No. Top corners? No. One gem? ehhh, it's okay. Then finally both together on the same corner. But was that enough? Nope. It needed something else...and then I decided on the silver Doodledots. Once it was done, I just looked at it and looked at it. Surely there was something else to add...but I couldn't think of a darn thing.

That's when I know it's done.

And yet I still just eyeball it...it's soo...sooo...simple. I just feel that there is no "WOW" factor. I want to have a "wow" factor...sigh...

Oh well. I still love my cards (well most of them) and am quite partial to any that BLING simple or not. So I guess simple is working for me...

Card Materials:

Partygirlabella image
Watercolor pencils w/blender pen
Cotton Candy and Waterfall Stickles
Silver Glitter Glue
DCWV Glitter CS
Black CS
Silver Gel Pen for Doodledots
Gem Flowers
Blank White Greeting Card (4" x 5 1/2")

Thought for the night:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

6 Words of Love:

The wallflower said...

Ugh.. I have the same problem when I make my cards. I'm with ya sistah!

MamaCass07 said...

Here are the specs, for those that would like to try.

The front and back panel are: 3 1/4 X 5 3/4

The accordian specs are: 12 X 5 1/2

Scoring is @ 1, 3 1/2, 6, 8 1/2, and 11 inches

The one inch tabes are what the frond and back panels are attached to.

These crad specs came from the May 2007 issue of Card Maker Magazine.

Jessica said...

I think it's perfect!

theysaywordscanbleed said...

it's pretty!

arlene,
Gig Harbor florist

Mel M. M. M. said...

I think this has the perfect amount of detail. The glitter is a gorgeous touch. :0)

Heather said...

I LOVE IT!!! Like I said .. she is a big image .. so It would be hard for me to dress it up. I think simplicity as you call it is beautiful!!! I feel mine are too cluttered and I can't stop. I try to go simple and it just looks blech! :/ I love your stuff!!! I think it makes them look so pretty and clean.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! I love getting comment love, so feel free to make my day! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FTC Declaration

These companies have gifted me free products and/or cash for promotional purposes:

*Paper Makeup Stamps
*Pink Cat Studio
*DeeDee's Digis
*MelJen Designs
*Tickled Pink
*Heart Song Stamps
*Lindsay's Scrapbook Shop
*Tiddly Inks
*Wags N Whiskers
* Paper Shelter
*My Favorite Things
*Saturated Canary
*Bugaboo Stamps